The Cincinnati Reds (9-24) visit the Pittsburgh Pirates (13-19) on Saturday at 6:35 p.m. ET with the Reds on a three-game winning streak.
An expected close match will pit the Reds (-115 moneyline odds of winning) against the Pirates (-104). The Reds will start Luis Castillo against the Pirates and Zach Thompson (1-3).
These teams reunite after the Reds beat the Pirates 8-2 yesterday. Tyler Mahle took the win for the Reds (6.0 IP, 2 R, 5 H, 8 K), and Mike Moustakas led the way offensively (2 for 5 with two home runs and two RBIs). Mitch Keller (4.2 IP, 5 R, 5 H, 2 K) took the loss for the Pirates.
Before you watch that Reds vs Pirates game, here’s everything you need to know about Saturday’s Diamond action.
Cincinnati Reds vs Pittsburgh Pirates odds and betting lines
- Prefer: Reds (-115, bet $115 to win $100)
- Underdog: Pirates (-104, bet $104 to win $100)
- More less : 8
Deposit $10, GET $200 INSTANTLY: Get some action on this game! Place your legal sports bets in CO and NJ on Tipico Sportsbook. USA TODAY Network Exclusive Offer: Deposit $10, get $200 bet credit instantly. 21+, terms and conditions apply. Bet now!
Red Stats and Trends
Reds Betting Records
- The Reds have won one of the four games they have played as favorites this season.
- Cincinnati is 1-2 in games where the sports betting favors them by at least -115 on the finance line.
- The implied probability of a Reds win, based on the moneyline, is 53.5%.
- Cincinnati and its opponents have hit over the total in 22 of their 33 games with a total this season.
- The Reds are 13-20-0 ATS on 33 chances this season.
Luis Castillo (Probable starter for the Reds)
- Castillo heads to the mound for the Reds to make his second start of the season, seeking his first win.
- The right-hander last pitched Monday against the Milwaukee Brewers, pitching 4 2/3 innings and allowing three earned runs.
- He’s pitched in one game this season with a 5.79 ERA, .176 batting average and 9.6 strikeouts per nine innings.
- The Pirates have scored 115 points this season, which ranks them 25th in MLB. They have 247 hits, 18th in baseball, with 26 homers (23rd in the league).
Reds batting stats
- The Reds have hit 29 homers this season, which ranks them 17th in the league.
- The Reds’ offense has a .362 slugging percentage this season, 20th in MLB.
- Cincinnati has a team batting average of just .221 this season, which ranks it 26th among MLB teams.
- The Reds have scored the 12th most points in the league this season with 140 (4.2 per game).
- Cincinnati has an OBP of .295 this season, which ranks 23rd in MLB.
- The Reds rank only 26th in MLB in strikeouts per game with an average of 9.2 puffs per game.
Hacker Stats and Trends
Pirate Betting Records
- The Pirates have won 10 or 40% of the 25 contests they have been named underdogs this year.
- Pittsburgh is 10-15 in contests where bettors favor them by -104 or worse on the moneyline.
- The funding line set for this match implies that the Pirates have a 51% chance of coming away with the win.
- The competitions with Pittsburgh have exceeded the total set by the bookmakers in 14 of 32 occasions this season.
- In 32 games with a line this season, the Pirates are 16-16-0 ATS.
Zach Thompson (probable initiator of the hackers)
- Thompson gets the start for the Pirates, his sixth of the season. He is 1-3 with a 7.08 ERA and 19 strikeouts in 20 1/3 innings pitched.
- The right-hander last appeared Sunday against the Cincinnati Reds, when he went five scoreless innings while allowing two hits.
- The 28-year-old has a 7.08 ERA and 8.4 strikeouts per nine innings in six games this season, while allowing a .292 batting average to opposing batters.
- Thompson is yet to put up a quality start this season.
- Thompson will be looking for his second outing of five or more innings pitched this season. He averages 3.1 innings per appearance.
- He’ll take the mound against a Reds offense that ranks 24th in the league with 236 total hits (on a .221 batting average). The team also hits a .362 collective (20th in the league) with 29 total home runs (17th in MLB action).
- In five innings in a single appearance against the Reds this season, Thompson has a .00 ERA and a .400 WHIP while his opponents are batting .111.
Pirates Drummer Stats
- The Pirates rank 23rd in MLB play with 26 total homers.
- This season, the Pirates are 18th in baseball with a .364 hitting percentage.
- Pittsburgh is 17th in batting average in the majors (.234).
- Averaging 3.6 points per game (115 overall), the Pirates are the 25th-highest scoring team in MLB.
- Pittsburgh ranks 20th in baseball with a .304 on-base percentage.
- The Pirates’ 8.8 strikeouts per game rank 19th in baseball.
Place your legal online sports bets in CO and NJ at Tipico Sportsbook now.
Reds vs. Pirates: Live Stream Info & Playtime
- Match day: Saturday, May 14, 2022
- Game time: 6:35 p.m. ET
- Stadium: Cabin crew fleet
- TV channel: ATT Sportsnet Pittsburgh
- Direct: fuboTV (Watch for free)
Gannett may derive revenue from Tipico for audience referrals to betting services. Tipico has no influence on such earnings and such earnings are in no way dependent or related to newsrooms or news coverage. To see Tipico.com for terms and conditions. 21+ only. Game problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS-OFF (IA).