SUFFOLK, Va. (WAVY) – Celebrate Black History Month outdoors with free gatherings courtesy of Suffolk Parks & Recreation.
Titled ‘Black Joy in the Outdoors’, Suffolk town officials aim to bring community members together with a range of outdoor activities including cycling, hiking and archery.
These activities include:
- “We’re Rollin’ Bike Ride”
- Saturday February 12, from 12 p.m. to 2 p.m.
- 3901 Sleepy Hole Road
- Bring your bike and a few friends to join us for this leisurely 2-5 mile group ride through one of our beautiful remote locations.
- the Black Girls Do Bike Organizationn will be present at the event to answer all your questions about the maintenance and maintenance of the bikes.
- There will be a limited number of beach cruisers available for free for this event; must call to reserve a loaner bike.
- “I won’t let anyone turn me around hiking”
- Saturday February 19, from 1 p.m. to 2 p.m.
- Lone Star Lakes Park, 401 Kings Highway.
- Grab your hiking boots and a few friends for this beginner level 3km hike through one of Suffolk’s beautiful parks.
- “Shoot your archery for culture »
- Saturday February 26
- Lone Star Lakes Park, 401 Kings Road
- Two sessions are available:
- Session 1 will take place from 12:00 p.m. to 12:45 p.m.
- Session 2 will take place from 1:00 p.m. to 1:45 p.m.
- Only 10 slots available per session. Participants can register for only one archery session.
The programs are open to the public and are free. Pre-registration is required and can be done HERE (Registration code #444006)
You can also register at East Suffolk Recreation Center, 138 South 6th Street and Whaleyville Recreation Center, 132 Robertson Street.
Download the WAVY News app to follow the latest news, weather and sports from WAVY-TV 10. Available at Apple and Google Play stores.